20080128

RAGTIME

There is a joke among those who know Jon Brion; he was once asked, while sitting in front of a set of vibraphones, to play "Flight Of The Bumble Bee" in a ragtime style.
He did it. And what started out as a sarcastic, unperformable request to see if the great and almighty Jon Brion could come through, turned into an astonishing sight. I cannot explain what "Flight Of The Bumble Bee" sounds like on the vibraphones in a ragtime style, but I can assure you that it was amazing. [...] Jon is probably the only person on the planet capable of the request I made musically for this film. I would say something ridiculous like, "Jon , I want something slow but fast, scary but romantic, sad and happy, is it possible?" Jon would not say yes, he would just play it... perfectly.
(Paul Thomas Anderson | Magnolia - O.S.T. Booklet)

No comments: